You should learn how to write ecommerce content and how to write descriptions that convert for a successful implementation of an e-commerce content strategy.
This is an essential element to promote your ecommerce business, online store, etc. and get sales from your product/products.
Whether you are a professional content writer or not, your ecommerce content writing must be qualitative and optimized to be well-referenced on search engines.
The descriptions of your product/products must also stand out from the competition and increase your brand image and notoriety, so you should be writing strong descriptions.
The objectives of a good content strategy are multiple, as are the challenges. Here are some ideas and tips for helping you earn How to write ecommerce content and setting up an e-commerce content strategy.
How to write ecommerce content: 5 ideas for your e-commerce content strategy
Much of your content marketing strategy and descriptions of the product/products is on your website. Without an optimized and detailed site, your content will have no value and will not convert customers.
There are also a few other ways you can create engaging marketing content outside your website, like using social media. However, we care about the sites and stores in the first place.
With a professional website that promote useful product/products and helpful descriptions, you will see your traffic increase and your interactions more interesting.
1- Write complete and SEO-optimized product pages.
Your product pages are intended to convert visitors into buyers. But not only that, they will help develop your online visibility. Finally, product pages are used to showcase your product/products from different angles.
What should be found on a quality product page:
- High-quality visuals with photos of your product/products
- Detailed and complete product/products descriptions that answers customer questions, and above all SEO optimized.
- A catchy title and headlines with your keyword and related to your product/products.
- A clear price of your product/products.
- Options that can be added quickly and easily.
- Reassuring information ( delivery time, payment methods, etc.)
- A quality call-to-action, it is this step that materializes the purchase action and encourages the buyer.
Tip: When you learn how to write ecommerce content, remember to put yourself in your readers ‘ shoes and determine his interests and persona to complete your product pages effectively.
Answer the questions and beliefs in the description of the product/products to activate the action.
Work on unique elements that showcases your brand, features your advantages and provides a good buyer experience.
2- Design clear category pages that convert
The category pages of your ecommerce website define the different categories of product/products you offer.
These pages are also very important to move up in search engine rankings. Thus, the more they are optimized and efficient, the more you will appear in the first results.
What are the essential elements of a category page for ecommerce site?
- A personalized title with a title tag that has your keyword
- A very well-written meta description
- User-oriented text
- The presence of main and secondary keywords
- An attractive visual
- The integration of internal categories: create a cross-link between your sub-categories with the same main category.
Tip: Depending on your product/products, you can integrate a presentation video to attract Internet users. This format is very popular.
3- Create relevant blog posts with long-tail keyword for more traffic
Keeping a blog on your ecommerce website is essential in a content strategy.
What are the essentials for a successful blog post for ecommerce?
- A neat and attractive title: your title is also your Title tag. It must be short, precise, and attractive. It should tell about the product
- A catchy introduction that arouses the desire to continue reading
- Well-written, well-formatted content with titles, subtitles, descriptions, adjectives and keywords
- Your images and links need to be optimized and SEO friendly.
- Key and relevant information should be placed at the beginning of the paragraph. Your text should contain short paragraphs and hierarchical information.
- Your blog post must be personalized according to your target.
Tip: for a blog to be alive, it must be animated regularly. The more articles you write, the more traffic your blog will get. As long as your content is relevant. That’s why we are telling you how to write ecommerce content.
Tip: you can do the writing or hire professional content writers for writing your content.
4- Create an effective lead-generation landing page
A lead-generation landing page is your website’s landing page, more simply, your home page that is used to sell your product.
This page is clearly at the heart of digital marketing strategies. Indeed, following a Google search, for example, an Internet user clicks on your site. It automatically arrives on your home page. If the key elements are not met, your potential customer will go to the next site. This page is essential in natural referencing for inbound marketing.
What are the key elements of an effective landing page?
- The call-to-action: you know this button you find several times on a website page. “Buy now,” “discover the universe,” “contact us,” etc. This button must be placed on your landing page at the right time and place. If not, your conversion rate will not be good.
- A clear, concise, and attractive title is the introduction to your offer. It should be relevant and attractive.
- A form: it must be quick to fill out and short. Internet users may hesitate to provide their data, so it is necessary to arouse curiosity.
- Choose high-quality, ideal visuals correspond to your universe, which makes you want to go further on your site.
- Clear, concise, and impactful content: the home page must highlight your offer. What is the added value of your offer, its objectives, etc.?
Tip: the call-to-action, the title, and the form must be in the first visible part of your site. That is the part that the user discovers before starting to scroll.
The “about” page allows Internet users and potential customers to learn more about you. They find out who is behind your online store. It’s a way to bond with them. Writing an about page is essential for your ecommerce website.
How to write an “about” page?
- It must be visible: it can be integrated into your main navigation bar or in your menu.
- It must be simple: starting with the title of the page, search engines immediately understand “about.” If you change the title to more fun or authentic, your carrier may need better indexed. In addition, people who do not know your universe may not link and, therefore, not go to consult it.
- Writing the most important information in the first lines: who are you? What you offer, how you can help (talk about your expertise).
- It must be readable: prioritize and highlight the different parts: my background, our team, our history, etc.
- Internet users adore media content such as videos to discover behind the scenes.
- Go straight to the point, writing about the facts and showing the “personality” of your e-commerce: Avoid writing too many stories and descritions. They will not be read. Focus on impactful facts, figures, etc. The tone should reflect who you are.
Tip: Add a presentation video of your online store is very representative: customers feel you through the images, and they inspire confidence. In addition, a video format allows a total reflection of who you are.
When you learn How to write ecommerce content, focus on putting all your skills in your business.
How to write descriptions for your products?
The content of product descriptions plays a major role in converting visitors into customers. Beyond product photos, customer reviews, and calls to action, the product description can be the key element that will tip the prospect toward the act of purchase.
But how can you optimize your product descriptions to make them more effective? I will explain!
1- Detailed descriptions
An effective product description is a detailed description! It must, therefore, first describe the product and its characteristics.
But beyond the basic information on how the product works and its context of use, do not hesitate to highlight information such as its place of manufacture, its benefits for the customer, and its advantages compared to other similar products.
The goal is to give the user a concrete idea about your product. The photos will help him project himself, but they are only sometimes enough. Here is, for example, the RSVP Paris site, which makes limited-edition leather goods. The item that interests me is a wallet, but before buying, I want to ensure the material’s quality.
2- Storytelling descriptions
The second writing technique consists of storytelling, in other words, a story around your product. There are many ways to do storytelling: for example, you can tell the story of your product itself, describing how it was made, step by step, with love. You can also mean an imaginary story to allow the prospect to project themselves.
For example, if you sell coolers, you can describe an ideal picnic on a hot summer day. The consumer will immediately project themselves and imagine using your cooler to keep their cans of beer or drinks cool.
3- Descriptions that make the reader feel guilty
The third technique consists of writing the product description in such a way as to make the Internet user feel guilty. Because often, when we go shopping, whether in-store or online, we are seized with a little guilty remorse just before going to checkout. Therefore, it is important to support the consumer in his decision. To make your prospect feel guilty, you can first remind them that your product is a golden deal they shouldn’t miss, based on the needs that led them to consult the product page. If it is an asset for your product, do not hesitate to highlight its lifespan to show the Internet user that it is a purchase he will not regret.
4- Persistent descriptions
Unless your product was designed for a particular event like Valentine’s Day or the last World Cup and is only sold for a limited period, avoid mentioning a specific period in its description.
Thus, it will always remain relevant. You save yourself an update of the description that you would have had to do later.
5- Tone Adaption descriptions
Beyond the content, it is also necessary to take care of the form of its description. The first thing to do is, therefore, to adapt the tone of the product description to your target! You have to ask yourself the question: familiarity or familiarity? Familiar or sustained language?
The product’s very nature influences the description’s tone: if you are selling a three-piece suit or a dog ball, the tone will change between the two!
Appealing to the emotions of the Internet user is often a good technique for selling online. If your product lends itself to it, do not hesitate to include a little humor in your description.
6- SEO Descriptions
Beside implementing SEO in your blog content of your ecommerce site, the product description also plays an important role in referencing your product page in search engines. It is, therefore, important to identify the keywords associated with the product and the searches of Internet users.
To identify them, you can rely on Keywords Everywhere, Google Trends, and Google Keyword Planner. Then, insert the specified keywords in your descriptions in the title, in the subtitles, paragraphs, meta description, etc.).
How to write ecommerce content: 4 tips for setting up an e-commerce content strategy
Essential tips for writing ecommerce content and descriptions for your e-commerce content strategy:
1- Create an FAQ and integrate certified reviews
The FAQ provides answers to the most frequently asked questions about ecommerce and your ecommerce website. It is essential to reassure your customers. It is also a guarantee of knowledge of your target.
Well-filled, frequently asked questions on your ecommerce website will be appreciated by Internet users, as well as by search engines.
Certified reviews are very important today. Search engines love them to begin with, and above all, it is a sufficient level for your potential customers.
These opinions go through secure, safe, and certified platforms, guaranteeing trust for Internet users. Do not hesitate to ask for your ecommerce customers’ opinions about your product and performance in your marketing mailings.
For example, your certified reviews must be at the bottom of your landing page. As soon as they arrive on the site, your visitors see your rating and your customers’ reviews. Its reassuring and positive reviews invite potential customers to go further.
2- Vary content formats
An ecommerce website filled with text will not be read. That’s why, in your ecommerce content strategy, use different formats of writing and content.
What are the main effective formats for a website:
- Text (writing texts)
- Image (designing images or shotting photos)
- Video presentation
- Guide (writing guides)
Examples besides based on your audiences:
- Creating product presentation videos on your product pages
- Adding attractive images, giving real meaning to your text and your universe
- Writing a detailed, descriptive product guide
- Creating a video presentation of your store, your team, or yourself
- Writing an optimized, attractive, and relevant article/ content
The diversity of content is the key for How to write ecommerce content.
This tip creates a quick link to all product categories. It encourages the user to visit your website.
Quick and easy access to another product will grab the attention and positively impact your conversions and conversion rate.
Example: The user looks at a product. Below are the other categories of your website. You attract his curiosity by creating a need in the visitor in his navigation.
4- Regularly analyze its traffic to adapt the content.
An ecommerce website must be monitored daily. Analytical data allows you to practice competitive intelligence in addition to knowing your customers and their motivations.
You can better adapt your content to new products by analyzing the visits.
Example: you notice a systematic cart abandonment on the same product. In reality, you realize you can increase the quality of the corresponding product page. Your description needs to be more detailed. Your photos need to be of high quality, etc. This data is very important to adapt your content according to your traffic.
FAQ about How to write ecommerce content
What is ecommerce content?
Ecommerce content is the content written to promote your business, products and services. It helps you influence your readers and give them the needed info to encourage them make a sale/purchase.
Ecommerce content can be blog posts, social posts, descriptions, etc.
What are the 3 types of e-commerce?
The 3 types of e-commerce are:
1- Business-to-Consumer (B2C)
2- Business-to-Business (B2B)
3- Consumer-to-Consumer (C2C)
Actually, there are even more like Consumer-to-Business (C2B), Business-to-Administration (B2A) and Consumer-to-Administration (C2A).
Do I become an ecommerce writer?
To become an ecommerce writer and write ecommerce writing:
- Research the ecommerce websites and read their content.
- Develop and enhance the necessary writing skills.
- Understand current writing convention and formulas.
- Decide on a writing niche
- Create a writing portfolio.
- Write and Market your writing service.
What are the 4 models of e-commerce?
The 4 models of e-commerce are:
- B2C (Business to Consumer).
- C2C (Consumer to Consumer).
- B2B (Business to Business).
- C2B (Consumer to Business).